How Do Vinyl Records Work? Everything You Should Know
Posted on March 07 2023
Vinyl records keep you feeling the music year after year. But how do vinyl records work anyway? In the digital age, there’s just something that draws music lovers back to vinyl records. They have their own unique character, crisp sound, and nostalgic appeal that keeps enthusiasts coming back for more.
Learning how records work is essential to starting or maintaining a collection. Here’s everything you should know about vinyl records, how they’re made, and how to keep them sounding fantastic.
Making a Record
How do vinyl records work? Let’s start with a basic understanding of the process it takes to create a record. This is how they’re made:
- Vinyl records are formed out of plastic PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
- Each vinyl record begins by being coated in a smooth nitrocellulose lacquer
- During the recording process, a microphone picks up sound waves, converting them into electrical signals, which are transferred to an arm with a needle at the end
- The needle engraves the lacquer with sound grooves, and at the end of the process, you have a record
Technique is everything when creating vinyl with great sound. Keeping your vinyl records in the best shape is essential to maintaining their quality. Next, let’s look at how vinyl records produce great sound.
The Right Sound
How do vinyl records work when it comes to sound production? True collectors know that the perfect pitch is hard to come by. When cared for properly, vinyl records offer amazing sound quality so you can enjoy every note. Here’s how records work and stay true to sound:
- The grooves are key to keeping your music playing flawlessly, and they need to be kept in tip-top shape without any scratches or smudging
- Consider purchasing some high-quality sleeves for your collection to keep the record protected
- The stylus reads each sound groove as your record rotates, so keeping it clean is essential to keeping records sounding great
Inspecting the sound quality of vinyl records takes time and skill, so don’t cut corners.
Maintaining Your Collection
How do vinyl records work better when you care for them? It all depends on proper storage, handling, and maintenance.
- Store in a cool, dry area: Heat alters the sound grooves creating unwelcome skips or hissing noises — you can use these simple storage cubes
- Avoid fingerprints and scratches: If you handle your records carelessly or drop them, this will impact the sound quality
- Inspect your setup regularly: Your record player needs to be in perfect shape to keep your collection at its best — replace and clean parts as needed
How well records work depends on how you care for them. Use a professional-grade stylus brush and clean your system before each use with this simple cleaning kit to avoid mishaps while your records are playing. Do your research.
Find Supplies Today
Keeping your records in pristine shape means you’ll enjoy perfect music year after year. How do vinyl records work even better with proper care and maintenance? Learn to enhance your sound today. Big Fudge sells premium vinyl products to keep your records and turntable sounding great — shop record supplies now and keep your collection at its best.